Thursday, August 2, 2007

Still Steady

Morning Weight: 187.8lbs

OK, many people have now commented to me that I shouldn't weigh myself every day because it will be discouraging. However, the fact is that since Monday (57% of a week) my weight has essentially not changed. I can certainly understand day by day fluctuations or lack thereof, but it seems strange to me that for four days my weight has not budged. I know that I have not been over-eating as I have measured my calories and know that I'm coming in at or under target. The biggest unknown for me every day is the Pho soup with Steak and Flank I eat for lunch. I think I've made a reasonable estimate for it calorically, but maybe not.

I have two theories, one supplied by Lane. She thinks that I am losing weight but at the same time retaining water from having too much sodium in my diet. This is certainly plausible… Although I have been tracking sodium, I haven't counted a few things like the beef broth or 1-2 dill pickles I have in the evening. The calories in both are very very low, but Lane is right…the sodium is not. So that could be one explanation.

The second explanation has to do with something Michael said to me on Monday- when your body is recovering from a hard workout (or several) water is stored to help the muscles heal. I had intense workouts on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, so maybe my body is still recovering. I still feel a slight soreness in my legs from Tuesday's run, so that may be.

In any case, I will make some efforts today to avoid sodium…I'll have a salad for lunch and some lean meat and veggies for dinner with no salt. Then I'll see if there's a difference tomorrow. I'll keep to my calorie goals, but just try to eat differently.

Breakfast today:

  • Grilled Chicken (I had made it a few days ago and didn't want it to spoil)-3 oz
  • Slice of 12 grain toast.


 

The other thing that's going on with me today is that I started to feel like I was coming down with something last night- I have a ringing in my ears and a sore/phlegmy throat (boy didn't you just want to know all that!)… I'll take today off and try to head home early from work to get some extra rest… I would like to kick whatever this is quickly.

3 comments:

Lane said...

Good luck today! (and if soup will make your throat feel better, don't worry about the sodium today - much more important to get better!)

Annette said...

You definitely want to make feeling better/avoiding sickness your first priority, because life gets even more challenging when under the weather, as I'm sure you already know. I think you have been doing a great job with what you've been eating AND with exercising. Another theory about the current lack of weight loss (actually two theories):
1. Could it be because you are working out more and gaining muscle that you have lost fat, but perhaps you have gained new muscle weight?
2.I've heard so often that people don't seem to see any progress and then when they least expect it - boom - suddenly you drop down a bunch of pounds...
Just be patient and keep up the good work. If you didn't lose weight after two weeks of being "good" then I'd worry that perhaps your calorie counting is off or something like that, but in the meantime, just keep doing the good stuff you've been doing (and continue being an inspiration for me!) Good night!

Annette said...

I'm assuming you and Lane not only read each other blogs, but also the comments, but just in case, here is what I just posted to her blog:
I think it is phenomenal how you and Michel are supporting each other. Sounds like the other night you both could have tempted the other with wine, but instead you were able to get past those urges - together - and in the end not even have the urge... fantastic! Keep up the good work you two! Check out this article:
http://www.thestar.com/living/article/240014
See the "fat facts" box? Even siblings weight influences each other (but strangely, not neighbors...perhaps we simply don't care what they think?)...
I think the moments when you two will best be able to help is when one feels weak and the other strong... just keep supporting each other and I'm sure you will see success! And thanks for all your kind words of support for me too!

Lucy in the Arboretum

Where I have lived, visited and want to go.