Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Austin is tough

Wow, I had great ideas about me getting some exercise in while in Austin this week. At least I'm heading back to Seattle tomorrow, and with that back to my normal schedule. I arrived in Austin last night at about 9:00PM. Of course I was hungry at that point, so no going to the gym. Instead I went downstairs and had a relatively healthy wedge salad… compared to all the tempting tex-mex on the menu, this really was a healthy option, despite the bacon bits and blue cheese.

So I thought I would at least get a run in today (Tuesday). But I had to be at a coffee shop to meet my team at 8:15AM and that was a half hour away. I couldn't get out of bed at 6am to run, so I figured I would run at the end of the day. But at the end of the day, I didn't have ANY energy because I had nothing healthy to snack on after lunch, which was at 11:30AM. And a colleague wanted to go out for dinner early and so I caved. At least I ate healthy- I had a sushi roll appetizer and then blackened ahi tuna as the main course.

There's a moral/lesson to this story. The sad thing is that I have learned this lesson countless times before. I have been travelling heavily for business since I joined this company in 2000, so you would think I would abide by my lessons. I'm hoping that by writing it down here I will remember the lesson the next time I travel. (And hopefully, I can get some reminders from my good friends who are reading this! J )

The lesson is simple: Bring healthy snacks with me when I travel so that I can eat a snack midafternoon and be energized enough to exercise when I get back to the hotel. This is soooooooo simple, and it has worked out well when I have done it. The key will be to choose snacks ahead of time and then bring them with me, but let's face it…after a month of planning what I can and cannot eat, this should be relatively easy. I just have to do it. Nike WAS right….JUST DO IT! J

2 comments:

Lane said...

So are you ASKING me to nag you?? :)

Annette said...

This may sound odd, but I think you shouldn't be so hard on yourself... the fact that you are travelling and able to eat well is already a BIG deal...quite a feat. In terms of remembering to bring a snack, maybe before you go on a trip you could shop for snacks you either really love, or try a few new protein bars, whatever, so the snack will be something you look forward to. It sounds like you sure know what you need to do. I would suggest being less hard on yourself (you've already been great about eating well), and try to remember the snack by making it something interesting/unique. As far as the exercise is concerned, when you return home you can also make up for the day or two you missed.
Keep up the good work!!!

Lucy in the Arboretum

Where I have lived, visited and want to go.