Wednesday, August 15, 2007

British Food

British food is much maligned (often by me). The fact is, a lot of British food does really leave much to be desired, but I've found this week that it can be quite decent. I arrived on Monday and I didn't eat anything on Monday because I wasn't really hungry- I had one bottle of Ensure Strawberry Shake and three beers with a colleague. I brought a 6-pack of Ensure with me to the UK so that I could avoid their heavy calorie breakfasts (and the Haggis that usually is sitting there scaring me). Tuesday I had two Ensure shakes to start my day, then I had a boiled chicken breast over lentils and fresh salsa for lunch. That was actually quite tasty and not high in calories/fat. Last night I had a chicken breast with herbs served over snap peas and rice…again…not that bad!

For today I had something that resembled a ham steak over cabbage for lunch. I cannot remember the word for it, suffice it to say they didn't call it Ham steak. My colleague with whom I had lunch informed me that it was a typical Irish dish. Again, it was actually quite tasty. I've just ordered Spaghetti Bolognese and a side salad for room service Dinner. I don't expect it to be great, but maybe I'll post again after dinner to correct myself. But maybe not.. I would think that I'm about due for a traditional British meal at some point…like the boiled, waterlogged hamburger I oh-so-enjoyed my first trip here for work in 2000. After tonight, its just Ensure and airplane food until I'm back in Seattle!

1 comment:

Lane said...

Ensure and airplane food - sounds delicious! :)

Lucy in the Arboretum

Where I have lived, visited and want to go.