Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Reading, UK and Copenhagen

I’ve been in Reading, UK and Copenhagen this week and I am flying back to Seattle today. Its been a rough week work-wise… its always tough coming over here. By the time you are done with a day full of meetings the team in Seattle is just starting to work, so emails start flying. I could let them go and wait until the next day to respond, but then I’ll have a huge mountain to go through and decisions will be made without my input. So last night I stayed in my hotel room- I arrived back at 5pm, but ended up working until 9pm. I ordered “Penne a la Bruschetta” which was described as Penne with fresh tomato tatar and basil. Yes there was pasta, yes there was basil. There were even some ripe red tomatoes. What kills me though is that they put in a bunch of green tomatoes which kind of ruined the whole thing for me. Not to the extent that I didn’t eat it..I was really hungry from not having had any breakfast (preferred sleep to food at that hour) and a small lunch. I’ll be happy to be back in control of what I can eat! On Monday night in the UK we went to an Asian restaurant that was “highly” recommended by a UK colleague as “excellent” Asian food. I think my Danish colleague put it best: “If that’s their best Asian food, then I don’t want to know what their mediocre Asian food is like!” Other delectable dishes this week included prawns on a bed of Rice (with tomatoes and beans mixed in)…sounds good, but it was only ok…very bland. I avoided the haggis at the hotel yet again….Someone must eat that stuff because each time I have gone to this hotel in the past 8 years, its being served in the buffet, and it looks as though someone has had some. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Haggis, here’s how Wikipedia describes it:
“sheep’s ‘pluck’ (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal’s stomach for approximately an hour.” Yum yum yum…think I’ll quit my day job and start a fast food chain centering on Haggis…sure to be a crowd pleaser at any county fair!

No comments:

Lucy in the Arboretum

Where I have lived, visited and want to go.